We just ordered a custom modified Foote Control P3S Mastering Edition Compressor. Woohooo!!!!
The term “Swiss Army Knife” gets thrown around a lot with regard to recording gear…
The P3S stereo compressor makes many devices seem more like spoons.
The P3S ME (mastering version) that has the same topology and character but with Goldpoint controls on threshold makeup and gain for precise recall.
Switch between feedforward and feedback topology, different automatic time constants for nearly-mindless operation, tailor the audio yourself with variable attack and release controls, engage multiple (or all) functions at once for new and interesting compression effects, or leave all buttons out for teeth-grinding distortion. Combine all of this with a pristine audio path and great metering, and you’re left with the Foote Control Systems P3S.
Differences between this and the 500 unit include a higher-grade external power supply, and a transformer-balanced output. You can also buy a transformerless version as well if you really want one,
P3S Features and Specifications
• Pristine, all analog audio path
• Fully balanced audio I/O
• Gold plated switch contacts
• AR Mode that allows the user to custom tailor attack and release times
• NL (Non-Linear) mode that automatically adjusts time constants using program material content
• RMS Mode that uses the human ear's responses as a compression model
• Peak mode using peak detection for a thick, dark compression character
• A high pass filter at 100Hz before the detector to limit how much low frequencies contribute to overall compression shape
• Threshold range from -36dB to +20dB
• Ratio continuously variable from 1:1 through 12:1
• Makeup gain range from -20dB to +20dB
• Fast LED metering to display the gain reduction of the compressor. The meter is switchable between 10dB full scale and 20dB full scale.
• Maximum ouput level of +27dBu
• Phantom power protected output structure.
• Input Impedance: 20K Ohms balanced, 10K Ohms unbalanced
• Output impedance: 50 Ohms
• Output automatically configures itself for balanced or unbalanced loads. (Pin 3 must be grounded during use with unbalanced inputs)
• Power consumption: 79mA to 130mA depending on modes used. Measured with all LEDs illuminated.
• Frequency response: +0.02dB @ 20Hz
-0.11dB @ 20kHz
• Noise level: -102dBA
• Dynamic range: 102.1dBA
• THD: 0.0059%
• IMD + Noise: 0.0077%